Saturday, May 7, 2011

More Photos - Swearing In

 These photos are from second site visit. It was our first chance to see Northwestern Province and the villages that we will be living in for the next two years. As I have been saying for the past three months, the bugs here have been one of the most impressive things about this place.
We saw this butterfly along the Kabompo River. The pink color on the hindwing can't really be seen in the picture but it was very bright.

This caterpillar has about the size of an index finger

We named this caterpillar 'Hellraiser'
 These photos are from my village in Ikelenge district, Kelondu. I will be arriving there on Tuesday for 'community entry' which means I will stay there for 3 months and "get known" by the villagers. Kelondu has about 300 households, so I surely won't be meeting everyone in that time.

This is my chota. It's the place outside my house where I'll eat, cook, and talk with people. It's not quite finished in this picture, but it will have a cement floor, short walls around the outside, and the roof will be finished being thatched. As you can see, goats will be an issue in my village, especially because I plan on doing lots of gardening.

This is the headman's brother, Robert, showing me the pineapple fields behind the village. The headman owns 4 hectares (8 acres) of land devoted to pineapples. You can see the strip of forest in the background behind the fields. This forest is very impressive spring-fed true tropical forest.

My house in Kelondu. I have a small orange tree outside my door, as well as several guava trees.
 These photos are from our cultural day in Chalimbana, the last day with our host families from training. It was our chance to say goodbye to the Katooka clan. We wore our chitenge material clothing that we had made by a local tailor.


The Katooka family, from left to right: Sylvia, Jessica, Amaama Anna, Me, Beauty, Ozzy, Rachel, Gloria, John, and Kelly.

Me with Jessica, Ozzy, and Gloria (hiding of course)

The Lundas with our Language and Cultural teacher Golden.

Me giving my speech at the U.S. Ambassador's house.

No comments:

Post a Comment